Wednesday, February 3, 2016

DIY Your Super Bowl Food

The NFL is a religion at my house and the Super Bowl this Sunday is always a special event. But unlike others across the nation, I never host a Super Bowl party nor attend one. Why? you ask. Well, unlike many people, I watch the Super Bowl to actually see the game. I don't care about the commercials, the half-time show, the pregame concerts, or all that other crap. I don't care that Lady Gaga is singing the National Anthem, and if the NFL truly wanted me to watch the halftime show, they would NOT have booked Coldplay as the midgame entertainment. I'd rather watch old F Troop reruns than one second of a Coldplay performance.

Too many people gather just for "party" aspect of the event, and I've found that the party people at a gathering make watching the play action on the field difficult to follow. It's a basic problem of two groups of people with two different priorities occupying the same space. As such, I choose my Super Bowl watching companions with great care and the number one priority is that they must want to watch the game first and foremost.

But with all that being said, the traditional foods expected at Super Bowl gatherings must be maintained and easily accessible during the game so that I don't miss a single snap of the ball. Beer, brats, wings, pizza, chips, nachos, etc. These are staples, and you have to prepare ahead of time, because the game starts when all that pregame hubbub is over, and you don't want to miss the opening kickoff.
 
And when it comes to getting a game spread ready, many choose to order take out. Many choose to DIY.

Obviously I'm a DIY guy.

Note: (The last time I can remember ordering take-out was from KFC. The Boss wanted a specific type of specialty chicken. I got there, got mixed up, panicked, and brought home the wrong stuff. She got stuck with a lot of chicken she didn't want, and I felt super guilty.)
  
So as a DIY guy, I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now, and decided to put a spin on the traditional nachos snack and make a chorizo sausage dip inspired by the new appetizer item of the Mexican restaurant down the street. I haven't worked out the details yet, and I wanted to get a chance to do a practice batch before Sunday, but time is running out, so I'm going to have to wing it (yes, pun intended) and see what happens. If it's a success, I'll post the recipe online. If not, I'll give a summary and include my mistakes.

Until Next Time...
Here is a really fun and funny video by ProductJunkieXoxo DIY'ing some pizza and hot wings. Even if you don't do this for your party, take ten minutes to give it a watch. It's well worth the time.

Hail Marily Yours,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment