Sunday, March 20, 2016

It's Spring - Are You Ready?

Yes, here in the Midwest there is a light dusting of snow on the ground, the temperature is in the 30s-40s, but today is most definitely Sunday, March 20, the Vernal Equinox.

You know what that means!

Around here, that means we'll be outdoors any chance we get. Biking (The Boss's passion), hiking, walking, and I'll be grilling. In fact, I've already put the gears in motion for our first deck party of 2016.

That also means food festivals. There'll be plenty to choose from. For instance, we've already inked on our calendar the CHOMP Regional Food Truck, Music and Film Festival at our local community college. Chili and Rib Cook Offs are coming soon, and I can guarantee you'll see me and The Boss at one or two of them. (She and The Kid are the chili experts around here, each in their unique way, and each not willing to give up their secrets, but that won't stop them from attending and sampling some of the other great recipes out there.)

Early May I'll start planting my chili peppers - a family tradition I unconsciously carried forward that I was completely unaware of until a few years ago when my dad revealed to me his father's obsession for chili peppers.

We may also bring back the herb garden this year, but instead of the raised bed we had at the old house, we may go with potted herbs right outside the kitchen door. Either way, our hands will be getting plenty dirty with organic potting soil.

Recipes will start lightening up - fewer and fewer heavy comfort foods and more fruits and veggies in our diet (we should really eat more of them anyway)

So stay tuned as Winter leaves us once again and Spring returns in all her glory. To quote a great man, American, and grill master: "Woo-Hoo!"

Until Next Time....
Watch this little clip Top 10 Grilling Tips from SummerKitchen.tv.
Springly Yours,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment